I have been learning about the various DNA test options for a few years now. I finally felt confident enough to decide which tests to purchase for specific family members. The RootsTech pricing was a great opportunity so I purchased 5 kits.
- Ancestry kit 1 – For my Mom. I chose this kit for two reasons – the price was $49 (regularly $99), and because her mother and brother have both previously tested with Ancestry. This will allow me to compare their results and look for differences.
- Ancestry kit 2 – For me. I chose this kit for the same two reasons as I chose the kit for my Mom.
- Ancestry kit 3 – For my friend who watched my 4 year old during the day while I was at RootsTech. They have a juicy little mystery in their tree and they know just who to test. 🙂
- FamilyTree DNA Y-DNA kit – For my Uncle. His Grandpa, my great grandfather, is a brick wall. I can’t wait for these results! I have been trying to find a way through this wall for years.
- FamilyTree DNA autosomal kit – For my Grandma. She has already tested with Ancestry. Her great grandfather was born in France and immigrated to America as a child. He is also a brick wall. Because more Europeans test with FT DNA, I am hoping to make some connections. I also chose this company for her because they store the sample for 25 years. Grandma is in her 80s, if I decide to retest her sample in the future I can (if the sample is still good).
I took my test and mailed it on Thursday of last week. On Friday afternoon I got an email saying that my sample was received. Wow, so fast! Now to wait 6-8 weeks for the results. Or longer. They sold a lot of $49 tests at RootsTech, I’m guessing that their lab is a bit behind.
My Uncle’s test was received on March 8th. We have another month or so to wait. Won’t we all be surprised if he matches a different surname than we are expecting? That is a distinct possibility.
I have mailed the other kits to my Mom and Grandma. More waiting. Hopefully they test and mail the samples very soon.
While I am waiting, I need to start studying the book I purchased at RootsTech that was recommended by Tom Jones. He is basically a genius, so I followed his suggestion.
It is so exciting to begin a new genealogy journey! I can’t wait to see what I can learn.
Happy Monday, I hope you make an awesome genealogy discovery today!